Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Taking Charge of Our Spending Habits

When I see a great deal it is hard for me to pass it up. I pride myself on being a bargain shopper and love love love to find a Smokin' Deal! I love playing the guessing game( Guess how much I spent?) with my husband when he gets home. At times I end up buying something I may not need or even want! Gifts, Right!? Saving money is important but we must make sure we stay within a budget that we have planned. Controlling our shopping habits can help us maintain balance.

One of my goals for a time period was to not spend any money unless it was food, bills or gas. This was a challenge! I noticed myself unconsciously finding deals that were hard to pass up. I love the skit on SNL "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford." It's hilarious, check it out sometime. But really sometimes it's that easy. Don't get into the trap "Well I can afford it." We need to be aware of what we are spending. So how can we stay aware of our spending habits? And make good choices? Here are some tips---

-When you go shopping, use a list
-Give yourself a budget for food, clothing, household items, etc...
-If you're temped to buy something ask yourself if you can live without it.
-Don't give into advertising.They are sucking you in for a reason.
-Say no when you don't need it! A salesperson purpose is to give you the info., you make the decision .
-Resist the last minute items by the checkout stands.
-Use cash if your credit card is too tempting
-Remind yourself of what you already have and enjoy it.
-Write down how much you spend every week.
-Buy food in season and plan meals around what is on sale
-Keep receipts in case you return any items( and know the stores policy for returning).
-If you buy clothes that you haven't wore in 3-4weeks, return it( unless it's for a special occasion).
-Last but not least STAY within your budget!!!

1 comment: