Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Feeling Special

  In high school my English teacher Mr Hiner was so different than the other teachers. It may have been the slight favoritism he gave me, or his happy eyes that smiled when he laughed softly. He was very kind, soft spoken and wise in his years. His last year before retirement was my last year in high school. On holidays he would give us a coloring page just like when we were in grade school. I use to color the most bizarre pictures for him,  the most memorable picture was a  Santa Claus that was colored like a rainbow he had candy cane cheeks. He always hung my pictures on the wall, a prize that not many people got more than once. Then later I asked him why he hung up my pictures so often,  he was color blind and mine were the most different and he said he enjoyed them the most. Ticked, I continued to color crazy patterns on our holiday sheets.

     In theatre we would get behind on projects, I had permission from him to leave class to help with the sets.There were a couple of kids who struggled with reading, I was allowed to read to them out in the hall. There was an understanding that my time could be used better elsewhere as long as the privilege didn't get abused. Toward the end I told him that shouldn't retire that we needed more teachers like him: Teachers who cared, who saw the bigger picture, and understood what learning was really about. A compliment never forgotten came from him ,"Tawnya, if there were more students like you, I wouldn't retire." He told me I was unique and gifted and I believed him.

  How often do we hear from others or ourselves that there is greatness within? What is our subconscious telling us? What do others say that effect our moods? Do we look for the good in all circumstances? You cannot go far beyond the picture you have of yourself. Change your thought process. For one week only have positive things to think and say. You can't think good and bad all in the same thought process, so make sure it's GOOD. Do your best to find the best qualities of your spouse, children and friends? Be conscious of what you are telling others. Are you telling them that they always do this and that wrong or that you appreciate their efforts and find an understanding? Find what is special about those who surround you and treat them that way, Including Yourself!
 
"Make every thought, every fact, that comes into your mind, pay you a profit. Make it work and produce for you. Think of things not as they are but as they might be. Don't merely dream---create!" Maxwell Maltz

1 comment:

  1. I love your high school story - - - and that you each recognized the unique wonder of one another. What a gift. I love you.

    ReplyDelete