Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting out of the Ruts

I had an great conversation with my husband this morning about our minds sets. He has been in a little rut with his work and it takes a lot out on a person  who is doing their personal best. How do we change our mind sets and get out of the "Ruts"?

 We all struggle with our own personal challenges life hands us. Or more like throws at us while we  try to juggle the tasks we have. My latest rut is with running. I have gone back and forth on running a marathon. It motivates me to do something I feel is so out of reach. While I'm running my mind tells me how are you going to run 26 miles when you can barley do a few.  The rule of "Start Small " echos in my head. But how do I go from small to bigger, then even bigger! So I looked up races in my region and have hit up friends to go with(still trying to have friends go with me). I have one race planned for 8.5 miles . I know I can do that! There is a marathon in Jan that's lingering on my mind. But I have a head full of excuses:
I want my first(and maybe only) marathon to  be at or around sea level(it won't happen with this one)
I want to be in the best shape of my life(well hat was like 10 years ago).
I need a friend to do it with me for moral  and motivational support.
I want to get pregnant soon, so maybe it's not a good idea.

You can see why it's my rut. I have some good excuses. With our ruts we need to have a sense of urgency to change. Is our rut keeping us from progressing? Is it holding us back from something better? Is it stopping us from being more happy?  How often is it in our minds? Are we holding back other?

Some may be more of a personal accomplishment, like mine. Some may be more important then others. Take a different route, a different approach to how you usually do things. Ask for some advice from someone you wouldn't usually. Ponder in a way you've never done. Read a book or search the Internet with your questions.

If you are doing your personal best, just dig a little deeper. You can do it! Don't forget to breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment