Sunday, September 12, 2010

YOGA


  This month is national yoga month. My first yoga experience was at the YMCA when I was 16. I remember having the back of  my legs and butt up against a wall with my back flat on the floor.A good portion of the time I thought " You want me to do what?!" Though I thought my body couldn't contort to half of the positions it turned out to be a good experience. My body had a sense of peace it's the first time I ever really meditated without thought or purpose, just to relax.
  Since then I been to a handful of different classes and teachers. From Yoga I've learned more about my body, the way it it centers itself and how to breathe differently. I love feeling energy from  others in the room and  having some quiet time too. Never give up just going once, it  takes time to get use to the positions. Yoga is something you can  do on your own too. I'll do it at my club off to the side sometimes. If people watch, let them! I like to listen to music that helps concentration or is inspirational.

Here are my top 5 reasons to do yoga

1. ENERGY- When you work on your breathing, you gain energy. Breathing correctly is like food for your bodies energy source. In yoga you can enhance this by having your body in certain positions.
0.

2.STRENGTH/PAIN RELIEF- Strength of your muscles, immune system, nervous system, digestive system, respiratory system, circulatory system, reproductive system, etc. And it improves flexibility. It has been know to relieve aches in joints and tendons.


3. PEACE-Yoga meditations promotes a greater awareness and appreciation of the present moment, which calms the mind and allows the peace deep within to surface. It also helps relieve stress.

4.CONCENTRATION- The requirement of many Yoga meditations to keep the mind focused on a single object or mantra (sound vibrations), helps to dramatically increase your power of concentration and focused attention.

5.INNER STRENGTH- It provides you to connect on a deepend level with yourself, God and others.

If you haven't tried it, this month is a great time to get going. A great pose to get started with is:

Sukhasana-(helps relieves tiredness in hips, straitens spine,and good for deep breathing)
 Sit down on the floor or a Yoga Mat.
Cross your legs, placing your feet below your knees.
Cup your hands around your knees.
Keep your head and body straight.
For more poses go to:http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/info/warrior-pose1.asp  It's an excellent site.

No comments:

Post a Comment